My reverend's son 38

CHAPTER 38
“THE REVEREND’S SON” 
©Opeyemi Akintunde
As inspired by the LIVING WORD

I waited for over 3 hours before I eventually got to see the Apostle. The moment I saw him, not minding who was around, I prostrated pleading that he would forgive me for my rash words against him and his son.

He kept quiet for a few minutes, before reaching out for his handkerchief. 

"I forgive you Sir!" He finally replied

"I heard about what happened to your son, accept my condolences" he added

"He is not dead. My wife and I deceived the public and sent him to Benin Republic, but we plan on correcting that wrong!" I confessed embracing the fault too as there was no point pushing the blame on my wife alone. It was under my watch, so it is partially my fault.

"Wow! It's true you should never criticize a man you have never been in his shoes" he replied implying I criticized him for his Son's venture into Mainstream music, and there was I covering up for my murderous son.

"Yes sir! That's why I came here to ask that you forgive me and pray for me." 

"Father in Jesus name, I pray for your son that you would have mercy on him and withdraw your hand of wrath from him in Jesus name." 

******
I travelled back to Nigeria through the same route. I went back to the motel my brother  was lodged, I didn’t give him a call, I wanted to surprise him. I met him on his way out. 

I had read the part of the prodigal child returning home and the joy  at which his father met him and embraced him, I didn't understand the depth until my brother saw me and ran towards me carrying me and hugging me tightly. In that moment it felt like my offense did not matter anymore.

"Janet! You came in one piece. Thank God! I just got a two bedroom apartment two streets away. I wanted to settle in and set up the place before coming to Cotonou to drag you down here!". He said excitedly in English. It was anger that usually brought out the Pidgin side of my brother.

"I am sorry" I said

"No worries, the fact you come back in one piece is enough apology for me"

"I brought back the money, I only spent 120 dollars." 

"Sh..shuu...No worry we go talk the rest later"  He cautioned me. 

We got into the taxi that was waiting for him.

***
Mrs Opeyemi had kept me with her at the hotel she lodged in.

A scripture kept ringing in my ears all night...

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? "

I kept wondering why that scripture kept replaying in my head and living rent free there.

My Father arrived very early the next morning and I hugged him like never before. 

"I am sorry Daddy!" 

"It's Okay my son, I am sorry for failing you as a father too, can we talk?" He said and I knew it was going to be a hard one...

"Sure Dad!"

We sat down alone while Mrs Opeyemi excused us.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" That was the first thing my father said and the moment I heard it, it resonated with me, because that was what I kept hearing all night long...

"Your eternal soul is more important than your time here on earth. Therefore running helter skelter trying to prolong your days on earth is like trying to gain the world. It would be better to make amends and receive the earthly punishment for your sins while your eternal life is sure. Right now, we don't know the state of the deceased's family, you need to come out and take the blame for what you did. The result of that may be death, but you are sure your eternity is sure. I want us to return to Nigeria and we openly confess our sins and accept whatever punishment the law deems fit. 

Also, If the blood of the innocent begins to cry, our unborn generation will suffer from it."

“I understand Dad! I am ready" I said

"I would like to see the family of the deceased and apologize to them first before the public apology." I asked of my father...
To be continued…
To follow our series, follow the author on Facebook @Opeyemi Akintunde Tv,  Instagram @Opeyemiakintunde, and to watch our movies, follow us on YouTube @DEEP THOTS FILMS. 
God bless you abundantly. Feel free to share but please do not tamper with the credit of the Author.

DEEP THOTS NOVELS 
Inspired by the TRUTH REVEALER 
Written by Opeyemi Akintunde 
+234-8151103646
Fb@Opeyemi Akintunde Tv.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

unhealed 22

Timisire The Golden girl 19

The blue river 5